Peaceful Mind, Joyful Heart
A Day of Mindfulness with Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh
and the Plum Village Monastics
for health care and helping professionals
Date: Nov. 3, 2010 (Wednesday)
Time: 10:00 – 16:00
Venue: Lindsay Ride Sports Centre (via Flora Ho Sports Center), The University of Hong Kong
Sorry - Registration was closed on September 15, 2010. All spaces were taken. You can regsiter for a similar event November 13, 2010, Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh in Hong Kong 2010: “Nourishing our Mind” , A Day of Mindfulness for Educators at the Hong Kong Institute of Education.
Working in the human service fields can be fulfilling. While taking care of others for their physical, emotional and spiritual sufferings, nourishing the mind and heart is important for the helping professionals to support their work.
In this Day of Mindfulness, we will learn the practice of mindful breathing, walking mediation, eating in silence, total relaxation, deep listening and loving speech. These practices will help us to slow down, to take a break in our busy life. We will listen to Zen Master (Thay) Thich Nhat Hanh’s talk on ways to cultivate and maintain a peaceful mind and joyful heart while serving others.
Apart from the dharma talk, there will be group sharing on subjects related to the health care and helping fields, such as:
- Caring for caregiver - mindfulness for doctors, nurses, psychotherapists and social workers
- Dealing with anger and other painful emotions
- There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way - facing and transforming suffering
- The will to live, the freedom to die - practicing with terminal illness
- Letting go - mindfulness in times of bereavement and grief
- Peacefully handling our fears
- Ending our inner struggles - how to develop a loving attitude towards ourselves and the world
- Buddhist teachings on love
- The art of Healing in Buddhism and Psychotherapy
10:00-10:30 Walking meditation
10:45-12:15 Dharma Talk by Thay Thich Nhat Hanh
13:30 Total relaxation
14:30 Workshop/Group Discussion
Language of the program: English
Program fee: HK$200. *vegetarian lunch inclusive **program fee non-refundable.
How to register: Registration is available online at Plum Village Hong Kong Website, www.pvfhk.org, on a first-come-first-served basis. Registrations are not final until we receive your payment. Please make payment within one week after you register. If payment is not received within one week, we will put your registration on the waiting list.
How to submit payment:
Please print out the confirmation page (or confirmation e-mail) and send it along with a check payable to The Plum Village Foundation Hong Kong Limited. For group registration, you can pay with one check. But please send in the confirmation pages for all persons.
Please send confirmation page(s) with a check to
HKU Centre on Behavioral Health
Attn: Day of Mindfulness
G/F, Pauline Chan Building,
10 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam
Enquiry: 2589 0500
The Day of Mindfulness is co-organized by:
- Centre on Behavioral Health, The University of Hong Kong
- Centre for Humanities and Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
- Centre of Buddhist Studies, The University of Hong Kong
- The Plum Village Foundation Hong Kong
Facility support for the Day of Mindfulness:
Institute of Human Performance, The University of Hong Kong
- Meditation mat will be provided.
- Application will be accepted on first-come-first-served basis.
- If Storm Warning Signal No. 8 or above, or Black Rainstorm Warning Signal is hoisted by 7am, the lesson will be cancelled. Details of postponement or other arrangements will be announced afterwards.